logo
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:47 am

Hello and welcome to our adoption forums.
If this is your first visit, please read our forum guidelines.
You'll have to register, before you can post or reply.

Mandy's Moon Personalized Gifts

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

This section is open to anyone who has questions or wants information on adoption. The only thing we require is that all questions and comments be respectful of parents who've adopted.

We're looking forward to getting to know you!
:purple

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:33 pm 
I'm New!

Your Adoption Connection: Just beginning the process
My first question has to do with my dog. Will having her be an issue for the home study or wanting to do foster to adopt?

She is an Australian Cattle Dog and she means the world to me. The thing is, she is very particular about who she likes. If you are a part of her family then you are good to go. So far, her family includes me, my husband, my dad, my step-mom, my mom (even though she hardly sees her she knows who she is and accepts her), and our cat. When anyone comes over we always kennel her.

Will anyone involved in the home study or state want to interact with her? She's not good around strangers, that's why we kennel her if anyone comes in our house. She's very protective of me.

The next question is concerning foster to adopt. We really want an infant, but before they would place him with us, will they inform us of any and all medical issues and ask if we are okay with the issues if there are any?

Also, for the home study, are we supposed to already have a nursery set up before the home study is done? Are there certain items we need to have BEFORE we ever have a baby placed with us?

I guess that's it for now. Thank you in advance. :smile

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:36 am 

The dog should be fine kenneled but you can always ask you social worker. To get certified we had to have a place for a baby to sleep and a car seat. The place to sleep didn't need to be a full nursery we just had a pack and play. But different states and agencies have different requirements. They should give you a check list at one of your first meetings or classes. The info that you might get about am infant could be limited or you could get tons of info. It really depends on each situation.

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:10 pm 
Honorary Member

Your Adoption Connection: DS adopted in 2007, hoping to adopt again!
Your agency will tell you how set up your nursery needs to be. We just had to have a room intended to use. Once we were matched and the baby was going to come home we had a home visit to check the crib, etc. But before that we didn't have to any of it set up. But I know different states/agencies have different feelings on this. I think its a disservice to PAP to make them set it up in hopes that it will be a fast match.

As for the dog. That is going to be based a lot on your social worker's opinions of dogs. One thing you can do to be proactive is to read about how to introduce someone to your family, etc. Show here that you are proactive. Our dog is very friendly, but we did some research because we wanted to do it right. Our dog is a puggle and she was 2 when we adopted. Our adoption was local and we had cradle care with our first. We used two blankets to smell introduce our dog to the baby (and our baby to bond with us). Wee slept with and one our son slept with the other and then each day we switched them. When he came home with us, we laid him on the floor and "claimed him" (we laid our hands on him and showed our dog that he was ours)- This process was in a veterinarian resource we read. I don't know if it made a difference, but I do know that we had the most awesome dog ever. She would lay at his crib or swing and alert us anytime she felt he was waking. She let him ride on her and still is VERY bonded to our first born.

Good luck! :shamrock

Two failed placements and a lot of ups and downs in our second adoption journey.
January 2012- DS was born- A completely wonderful surprise!
July- DS adoption finalized

Always remember there is nothing worth sharing like the love that let us share our name...